Strong bones contribute significantly to endurance and athletic performance. They provide a stable framework, enhance balance, agility, and overall physical capabilities.
For young athletes, maintaining strong bone health is vital to ensure injury prevention and optimize athletic performance. The skeletal system provides the structural foundation for the body, and during growth and development, bones constantly increase in size and density. Bone health plays a critical role in preventing injuries and improving endurance and overall performance.
KEEP ‘EM MOVING
Strong bones contribute significantly to endurance and athletic performance. They provide a stable framework, enhance balance, agility, and overall physical capabilities.1 Optimal bone health enables athletes to perform at their best, as it supports the body's musculoskeletal system, ensuring efficient movement and reducing the strain on muscles and joints.2 Athletes with strong bones are better equipped to excel in their chosen sports.
By engaging in weight-bearing exercises and maintaining a balanced diet, athletes can fortify their skeletal structure and reduce the risk of injuries.2 Strong bones also enhance endurance and overall performance, giving athletes a competitive edge in their chosen sports. Emphasizing bone health empowers young athletes to lead healthy, successful sporting careers while promoting their long-term well-being.1
HOW TO TAKE ACTION
- Engage in weight-bearing exercises
- Maintain a balanced diet
- Strong bones are a protective shield for young athletes
- Weight-bearing exercises stimulate bone formation
- Strong bones help young athletes have better endurance and athletic performance
- Overall, good bone health promotes long-term well-being
For a comprehensive scientific summary on this topic, refer to Abrams, S. A., & Hawthorne, K. M. (2012). Bone health in children. Taylor & Francis Group.
- Fung, E. B., Bachrach, L. K., & Sawyer, A. J. (Eds.). (2016). Bone health assessment in pediatrics: Guidelines for clinical practice. Springer International Publishing AG.Pallesen et al. (2017), Percept Mot Skills, 124(4), 812-829.
- Nutritional Influences on Bone Health: 8th International Symposium, edited by Peter Burckhardt, et al., Springer London, Limited, 2013. ProQuest Ebook Central, https://ebookcentral.proquest.com/lib/byu/detail.action?docID=1081697.