The Y Be Fit internship is offered to juniors and seniors in the Exercise and Wellness, Exercise Science, Nutritional Science, and other health-related majors.
Y Be Fit offers health coaching experience that helps students apply coursework and continue their learning.
Health coaches are trained to perform various health assessments such as body composition and sub-maximal treadmill tests as well as educate and support clients one-on-one. Each new intern is expected to work 10-11 hours per week throughout the semester. The schedule will be fixed for the entirety of the school semester in an effort to optimally work around class and other work schedules.
Knowledge Base Standards
Y Be Fit is managed by students yet operates a very professional atmosphere. Clients expect health coaches to know what they are talking about and be confident in their advice. Although much of this comes with time and experience, new interns are expected to have a basic understanding of health and lifestyle principles. Candidates who are accepted for an interview will be asked to describe some of these principles. To help potential interns prepare for the interview, the following document has been provided.
Knowledge Base Standards
The best way to use this document is to treat it like a test study guide and fill in the information to the best of your ability. Much of the information can be found from credible websites found on our Helpful Links page. Knowing these principles will make you more competitive in your interview, not to mention prepare you for your future work in the health field.
- Complete the online application found here: Y Be Fit Application
- E-mail a copy of your current resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- E-mail a PDF copy of your most current full progress report to email@example.com. Your progress report can be found by going to mymap.byu.edu. Select My Progress Report. Download and e-mail us a PDF version, saved with your name.
- Have 2 or 3 (3 is preferred) references complete the online recommendation form found here: Online Recommendation Form. The applicant may not be present while the reference is filling out the form. Send the link for the form to those who are recommending you. Note: We prefer recommendations from employers and professors.
- Be able to work 11 hours a week. Be able to attend a mandatory weekly staff meeting (typically held every Thursday at 11am).
Dates and Deadlines
The online application and recommendation forms for Spring/Summer 2023 will open for submission on Monday, February 27th at 7:00 am. Applications will be due Friday, March 24th at 11:59 pm.
Virtual information meetings will be held on Tuesday, March 7th at 5p and on Wednesday, March 8th at 12p. These info meetings are not mandatory to attend but will answer common questions and provide tips for your application. If you cannot attend either meeting and would like a recording, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Zoom links for each meeting are posted below.
Tuesday, March 7th @5p:
Wednesday, March 8th @12p:
Those accepted for an interview will be contacted within 1 week following the application deadline. Due to the high volume of applicants, you will not be contacted if you do not receive an interview invitation.